I suggest you ...

Include more women and people of color

You have 73 subjects. You have 3 women. You have 4 men of color, and no women of color at all. All of the people of color are musicians, and 2 of them are the only 2 people you do not refer to by their last names.
I love this idea, but this is a continuation of the "dead white guy" model of history. Women make up half of the world. Doesn't it seem strange that they don't even make up a quarter of the people you deem to be "movers and shakers"?
Here are some suggestions for people you could include:
WEB DuBois
Katherine Johnson
Marcus Garvey
Alice Paul
Phyllis Wheatley
Martin Luther King Jr.
Booker T. Washington
George Washington Carver
Malcolm X
Susan B. Anthony
Madam CJ Walker
Rosalind Franklin
Cesar Chavez
Please consider making your website more representative of human beings.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Fiona Madigan shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminSimply Charly (Founder, Simply Charly) commented  · 

Thank you, Fiona, for pointing out where we've fallen short at Simply Charly.

You are correct in pointing to our absence of men and women of color. Unfortunately, history hasn't been kind to minorities which is why you see a dearth of representatives on our site and in the historical record. But this is no excuse for not featuring those you've generously listed. If anything, it's high time to celebrate the achievements of these great trailblazers.

Many of the achievers you have listed are already on our list for future inclusion including James Baldwin, Frederick Douglass, Langston Hughes, Romare Bearden, Richard Wright and Ralph Ellison.

Having said this, your comment about the Afro-American musicians we've chosen to feature should in no way be denigrated because of their profession. Who's to say that a writer or scientist is better than a musician? Moreover, in very few cases, we chose to use a nickname over one's surname because that's how they were best known. This was the case for Napoleon and Miles Davis, for example. Another reason we made this decision is that performing a Google search for "Simply Davis" or "Simply Armstrong" would not rank high on search engines because those surnames were too general as to be confused with others who may share their names. But "Simply Miles" or "Simply Satchmo" would be more specific and increase our chances of being found more quickly.

Again, I thank you for taking the time to recommend some of the men and women of color who have made significant contributions to our society. And we hope to feature many of them on our site very soon.

Yours,

Charly

Feedback and Knowledge Base