I suggest you ...

State your purpose upfront and cut down on the wording

The first thing that came to mind was, "What is this site about?" Perhaps your logo and line "Finding history's movers and shakers" is what you think it is. But what does that mean?
Then I scrolled through the front page and still had no idea. It was cute, but that was all I could see....until I scrolled right to the bottom of the page and then hit ABOUT. And then I was totally overwhelmed by a ton of words. I suggest that you state the purpose of the site in one sentence at the top of the first page. And then on the rest cut down the words to a minimum.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Latour JamesLatour James shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Simply CharlyAdminSimply Charly (Founder, Simply Charly) commented  · 

Thank you for your helpful comments...

I'm not sure you noticed the url address of the site you visited, but we aren't yet live. This is a beta site as we're in the middle of a complete redesign of our website, so not everything is in place yet particularly the 60 second video intro which we are still working on that will explain who we are and what we do. But yes, you are correct that it's hard to tell immediately what the site is all ABOUT even though our logo's tagline gives you a hint (Exploring History's Movers and Shakers). But what struck me most about what you said, was that you were "overwhelmed by a ton of words." All we have in each featured box is but the first sentence of, say, a book review or title of an interview which is only there to interest visitors to read more. If you want to see a ton of words, visit TIME.com or NYTIMES.com. That's overwhelming!

Feedback and Knowledge Base